Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the Texas state government

If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, please visit our Help for Texans Page.

Texas Hurricane Center (Office of the Governor site)

Rental Property Owners, Communities and Nonprofits

Relief resources and information are also available for rental property owners of TDHCA-funded properties and communities and nonprofit organizations.

Register for Help

Homeowners and renters in federally declared disaster areas are encouraged to register for disaster help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). FEMA help may include grants to help pay for temporary housing and essential home repairs. Register for FEMA help:

  • Online at
  • Use the FEMA mobile app, available at
  • Call 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, 7 days a week at 1-800-621-3362 (also for 711 & VRS). People with speech or hearing impairment may call toll free TTY 1-800-462-7585. For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.
  • At a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). Find your nearest DRC at or Text DRC and a Zip Code to 43362. Example: DRC 01234. Using this option doesn’t add you to any messaging service. It’s just like doing a search on the Web. (Standard text rates may apply.)

Assistance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

  • If you lived in public housing, a Section 8 unit or have a Housing Choice Voucher contact the housing provider that assisted you before the disaster and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at:
    • Public housing residents and Housing Choice Voucher holders call 1-800-955-2232
    • Section 8 unit residents may call 1-800-685-8470
  • Contact HUD for information on federally subsidized rental housing programs including providers in your area at: 1-800-955-2232 or 1-800-685-8470.
  • Don’t forget to Register for FEMA assistance ( or call toll free 1-800-621-3362. People with speech or hearing impairment may call toll free TTY 1-800-462-7585. For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Long-Term Disaster Recovery Toolkit for Individuals with Disabilities ( Resources from The Center on Disability and Development at Texas A&M University and the Texas Center on Disability Studies at the University of Texas at Austin

Texas Resources

Elderly, Persons with Disabilities

Federal Resources

Persons with Disabilities or Access and Functional Needs

Older Americans

General Resources


Evacuation Resources

Post-Disaster Tips, Resources

Mental Health, Substance Abuse


Disaster Recovery: A Resource for Homeowners brochure by the Mortgage Bankers Association outlines homeowner disaster preparedness and steps to recovery including who to communicate with about your mortgage, how to navigate the insurance process, and what forms of aid and disaster loans are generally available. (

Texas Resources

Single family home repair, reconstruction, new construction, demolition, acquisition, down-payment assistance and relocation, call the Texas General Land Office’s Community Development and Revitalization division toll free at 1-844-893-8937 or visit

Homeowners with a mortgage loan through TDHCA are encouraged to contact their lender for forbearance/deferment information. Other questions may be directed to the TDHCA Homeownership Division at 800-792-1119 or

Federal Resources

US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Foreclosure Relief
  • 90-day foreclosure moratorium is available for FHA insured home loans after a Presidentially Declared Disaster. For information call 1-800-225-5342.
  • If you are homeowner concerned about foreclosure or have questions about next steps with your home connect with a HUD-approved housing counseling agency by calling 1-800-569-4287. You do not have to have a FHA loan to meet with a HUD approved housing counseling agency and there is never a fee for foreclosure prevention counseling.
Fannie Mae

If you were affected by a disaster and your mortgage loan is backed by Fannie Mae, you can get personalized help navigating the challenging recovery process from our Disaster Response Network. Read Fannie Mae’s Disaster Response Flyer (PDF) or visit Fannie Mae’s consumer website:

HUD Home Insurance and Loan Programs
  • HUD's Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims who have lost their homes and are facing the daunting task of rebuilding or buying another home. Borrowers from participating FHA-approved lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs. For information call 1-800-225-5342.
  • HUD's Section 203(k) loan program enables disaster survivors to finance the purchase or refinance of a house along with its repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged houses to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single family home For information call 1-800-225-5342.
  • Homeowners can find answers to questions about FHA mortgages at

Homeowners in federally declared disaster areas in Texas who have a home loan through FHA or other conventional home loan program may be eligible for a forbearance/deferment on their mortgage loan. For more information, contact your lender and refer to the following:

US Department of Agriculture Rural Development (“USDA-RD”)

Rural Development Disaster Assistance

If the disaster has damaged your property, please contact USDA-RD to obtain a claims package. The claims package will explain how to work with your insurance agency and USDA.

  • If you have repairs not covered by insurance and your income qualifies, you may be able to obtain a loan from USDA.
  • If your income has been reduced by over 10% and will be reduced for the foreseeable future, you can request a payment assistance package.
  • If you have excessive, non-reimbursed repair expenses or have lost your job as a result of the storm, you can request a moratorium package. This moratorium is a suspension of your payment for a period of time and is subject to repayment at a later date.

Contact a USDA-RD Customer Service Representative at 1-800-414-1226 or 1-800-438-1832 (TDD/TTY Hearing Impaired Only). USDA-RD Customer Service is available from 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Central Time, Monday through Friday. Please have your account number and Social Security Number available when you call.

Mental Health

  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Talk with a professional who can help you cope with emotional distress from the storm. Call the Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746

People with Disabilities

Employment Resources

Unemployment Resources

Check the list below to find out where to obtain official copies of your lost or damaged documents.

**Hurricane Harvey**

  • To get help filing a personal insurance claim, call the Texas Department of Insurance's Consumer Help Line: 800-252-3439 (Note: this is not an emergency number).
  • Texas Department of Motor Vehicles: for information about Motor Carrier Permits, Apportioned Registration/Temp Permits, Vehicle Titles and Registration, Insurance Companies and Flood-Damaged Vehicles.

Texas Resources

Federal Resources

Before you donate material items, please be aware that:

  • In the early stages of disaster response, most organizations are unable to accommodate all of the donated goods.
  • Unsolicited material donations create a challenge of sorting, storage and transportation when focus is needed on response and recovery.
  • Monetary donations continue to be the preferred manner of contributing to disaster relief. Monetary donations enable relief organizations to:
    • Purchase needed items and supplies locally and in just the right quantities, which ensures quick delivery to survivors;
    • Support the local merchants, which strengthens the local economy for the long run.

Donate your time, money, services or skills


If you or your organization, or if you know of an organization, that can help with one or more of these needs, please contact Bianca Kapadia at or (202) 808-6609.

Houston Area:

  • For City of Houston and Harris County- long term recovery needs skilled volunteers for repair and rebuild; there are more than 140 member groups in the Houston LTRG that help with long term to see what needs are there and also post what they could possibly provide
  • Greater Houston Area- they also need skilled and unskilled volunteers for repair and rebuild (Wharton, Liberty, Fort Bend, Galveston, Brazoria)
  • Affordable Housing is the general need in Houston and Houston-area

Brazoria County:

  • Skilled Construction volunteers and tradesmen are preferred
  • Unskilled volunteers who can work autonomously will minimal supervision willing to learn basic construction (mucking, gutting, painting and installing flooring, drywall and trim

Wharton County:

  • Skilled and unskilled volunteers for weekdays/weekends (large groups welcome) on a continuous basis
  • CPA to assist with setting up financials and end of year reporting anytime CPA is available.

Jefferson, Hardin*, Orange*, Jasper*, and Newton* Counties:

  • Skilled Construction Volunteers for UMCOR operations
  • More rebuild organizations in general. Currently there are only 2-3 depending on the area, and no muck and gut crews.

*High priority. These counties need muck and gut crews

Nueces, Refugio, and Aransas Counties:

  • Skilled construction leaders to guide volunteers
  • Debris clean up
  • Roofers
  • People who have electrical knowledge
  • Carpenters

Monetary Donations

Always research charities and organizations before you give.

Contracting Opportunities

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this site is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. TDHCA does not endorse any specific organization listed on this site.

Subscribe to our Mailing List.

Sign up to get news of our program releases, how to apply for assistance, and other news.